Monday, October 09, 2006

Five Elles... Or are there?

More than a year ago, my multi-talented friend Pablo sent me a script to look over. It involved five very different characters played by the same person.

"I think you can pull it off," he told me.

At the time I was very much considering the possibility of acting as a career move. I was about to enroll at a local acting academy when my life got in the way. Acting had been left on the back burner and a guaranteed money making career ensued. That was so long ago that I had almost forgot my once very prevalent ambitions. That is until Pablo caught the bug to film again.

"I wish I could find that script I sent you way back when."

I searched through my email and was able to retrieve it and send it to him.

"I say we do it. What about Sunday?"

Sunday would be the day after the long day at the VH1 Honors. I'd be tired...
So when has that ever stopped me? "Sure, I'm in."

Sunday afternoon, Pablo arrived with his assistant (*cough* girlfriend), Amanda, and filming gear. I had laid out my wardrobe for the several changes I would have to undergo, and when they were approved, dressed into my first character.

I don't want to reveal too much of the short film. I'd rather wait until it's edited and post it online for all of you to see. So what I will say is there were a lot of laughs, a LOT of takes, a lot of angles, a lot of dumb questions (not just from you, Amanda lol), a lot of "Oh, we're filming?", a lot of overcooked lemons (that will make sense later), a lot of spilled "vodka", and always a good time.

During the last scene my mother popped in with Imani. It didn't help that a) my mom doesn't necessarily "get" what I do, and that b) I was dressed like a trashy whore.

"WHAT kind of movie are you filming?" she asked.

"This is just one of the characters, ma. I was dressed like Susie Homemaker earlier, you should have dropped in during that scene."

"Well let me see what you can do. Go ahead and continue."

But, I couldn't. It's the same thing with photo shoots. In front of professionals I'm fine, totally uninhibited and in touch with what I'm doing. In front of family or friends I shy away, lose my purpose. After ten minutes of having Imani almost rip my mini shirt off, mom collected her and left so we could wrap up.

When it was all said and done we had more than an hour of footage that had been created in six hours of time, that would equal maybe three minutes of finalized film. Amazing how that all works.

I'll post when it's completed.

4 comments:

Desiree said...

Ok, I came here yesterday, and did NOT see this post here. Hold out!

=)

That sounds fun though! I hope we get to watch it soon.

Elle J said...

I back posted.. tee hee.. (added two posts today)

The Absent Minded Landlord said...

It's funny how family makes such a different audience. You'd think we'd be most comfortable in front of them, but it doesn't work out that way. Interestingly enough, I only dress like a whore in front of my mom. Wait, what?

Karla said...

I also came yesterday and did not see this post.

I also shy away infront of family.

I cant wait to see the movie.