Wednesday, December 20, 2006

My thoughts on growing up...

#1- Nightmares aren't all about boogie men anymore...

I've had two intensely horrifying dreams recently. The first developed around me missing a flight out to LA where I was to have a meeting that would inevitably launch my entire career. No such meeting, or flight, exists but I woke up panicked and panting.
The second was about me adopting a three month old baby... and quickly coming to realize that a) I can't afford it (why is Simalac SO expensive?), b) I suddenly had no time for myself and c) I just wasn't ready to be responsible for the likelihood of someone other than myself. I looked on the adoption papers for a return policy, there wasn't one, and I awoke totally freaked out and wondering if there was a crib beside my bed. Luckily, there wasn't.
What do the dreams mean? Who knows ... but I guess me obsessing over the direction of my career vs. starting to turn the gears on creating a family, may have something to do with it.

#2- Christmas just isn't the same...

Guess what I asked for this Christmas season- a digital thermostat (to help cut the cost of my outrageous heating bills) and Crest Premium White Strips ( I want pearly whites!). How boring is that? But, when your 25, killing your credit cards, and running around like a maniac, stopping to figure out what you'd like for a gift is just too time consuming. So, you just think about what would save you money. (Ok, the strips aren't going to save me money, but they'll save me from insecure bouts of faulty dental stains.)

#3- Relationships...

Whether it's the one you share with your parents, or the one you share with a significant other, it doesn't come as easily as it once did under the veil of naivety you once wore. Now you "read" your parents, they are going through their own shit that comes with age and you have to find ways to tipey toe around it. Dating isn't what it was in high school. No one says "want to be my girlfriend/boyfriend?" It's never that simple. You're left to figure out where you stand on your own and no matter how many times you tell yourself to live for the moment, you immediately place a newcomer into the game board that is your life and wonder how they will fit in now and ten years from now.

Where did my childhood go?

5 comments:

The Absent Minded Landlord said...

Ooh, if you are playing the board game Life, maybe childhood isn't as far off as you think ;)

Desiree said...

Wow! You updated and I wasn't there the first day!

I'm slacking.

Ya, it does sound like your dreams are trying to tell you something. Pretty interesting =)

Karla said...

I was asking myself the same question the other day.

I know some one who can tell you what your dreams mean if you want to know let me know and I will ask them.

Caro said...

dreams. i actually had a crazy one last night. i try to figure them out, but then...that's too much effort and my over-activeimagination runs wild....SO....i just dont try anymore.

and too think i ask the question at least once a day lately.

Chuck said...

I think you may had just fallen asleep watching the wrong movie... Don't sweat it!
-charles.sanchez@comcast.net